These past few years, I have done a lot of reading and learning about habits and behaviors; how to strengthen the good and decrease the bad. Positive and negative behaviors can be applied to most aspects of our lives, and though I have made much progress in increasing my “good” habits, I still have a long way to go. I mean, I guess that’s the beauty of learning and growing throughout life!
Although you must follow through with certain behaviors when you’re seeking to live a healthier lifestyle, I have found that most experts believe that healthy behaviors have their roots in your mind. What you think and believe will determine how well you’ll follow through and apply the paradigm of a healthy lifestyle in your daily existence.
Consider the following mind strategies to galvanize your efforts for a healthy lifestyle:
- Recognize your prior life successes. Take some time to reflect on what you’ve been successful at in the past. Then, use those prior life successes to ignite your passion to live healthy.
- Maybe you’re proud of the fact you worked yourself through college.
- Perhaps you’re known as the co-worker to go to when seeking work knowledge.
- Maybe you took care of your sick mother and aided her in getting back to good health.
- You can use these past successes to your advantage in the present!
2. Consider what’s good and positive about your life right now. Perhaps you live in a lovely apartment located just where you want to be. Maybe you’re in a great relationship and you’re optimistic about how it’s progressing.
- When you embrace the positive aspects of your life, you’ll be more motivated to strive for good health so the positive keeps on coming.
3. Think about the connections between a healthy lifestyle and a happy life. For example, reflect on how great you feel physically and emotionally when you eat a good breakfast. Also, take notice of how well you can relax and sleep when you skip that heavy snack in the evening. This is an easy way to incorporate mindfulness and awareness into your busy life.
- When you recognize the intimate relationship between your daily lifestyle choices and your emotions, you’ll be more focused on taking steps to live well.
4. Renew your commitment to your own health each day. Determine what you really want for yourself and your future. This one may take a few minutes. Make it a point to grab a pen and write it down in a notebook or make a note on your computer. Putting the words on paper make your vision more real and more likely that you will work towards your goals. .
- What kind of lifestyle do you desire? A life where you sit in front of the television all evening and most weekends or one where you’re active, trying new physical activities all the time, and discovering adventure?
5. Make it a personal goal to become physically and emotionally stronger. When you have physical strength, emotional strength isn’t far behind.
- Vow to strengthen your core and get it into tip-top shape.
- Tap into your courage to follow your path to a healthy lifestyle.
6. Realize that you can eat the flavors and foods you want in moderation. Use positive, optimistic thinking regarding nutrition. Avoid taking the approach that you must deny yourself of the tastes you love. That doesn’t serve anyone!
- Instead, say that there’s nothing you can’t have as long as you limit the portions. And then remind yourself of all the healthy good food you can have like juicy fruits, savory vegetables, and high protein snacks.
7. Take it one day at a time. Living your life one day at a time keeps things simple. Say to yourself, “Just for today, I will eat fresh and healthy foods and I will exercise.” Recognize that although tomorrow is another day, for now, you’ll stay on the path you’ve chosen for increased vigor and vitality. Using this phrase will help reduce the overwhelm that often accompanies trying out new healthier habits.
8. Remain emotionally connected with yourself—live life consciously. When you live life consciously, you recognize the power you hold in every decision. Pull from your energy to make positive choices from that power.
- You’ll likely experience feelings of exhilaration and conscientiousness in your efforts!
9. Have faith and confidence in yourself. Get in touch with your self-confidence to take a clearer path toward vitality and longevity. Ponder all the wonderful and awesome things about you. Re-discover your fearlessness that you once had when you were younger.
When you apply these strategies, you’ll experience the sweet joy that comes with demonstrating a healthy lifestyle. If all these ideas seem daunting and too hard to incorporate at once, choose one or two to start with, and proceed from there. Go ahead – you know you can do it – and I am here to cheer you on!